Flying with kids? Welcome aboard!
Lots of families fly with Jetstar and we’re always happy to help make things easier.
Get organised ahead of your flight by adding extras such as checked baggage, kids’ meals and in-flight entertainment when you book.
Please note, there are some important details to keep in mind before you book your family trip with us.
Infants (under 2 years)
- At Jetstar we refer to children under 2 years old as infants.
- Infants do not require an allocated seat if you're happy to nurse them on your lap. A small fee applies on some flights.
- We don’t carry infant food or formula on board, but we're happy for you to bring your own.
- If you are travelling with a young child or infant you can bring a pram, stroller, portable cot and highchair as checked baggage for free, regardless of fare and in addition to any checked baggage allowance.
- You can bring a car seat on board for your infant or young child to sit in, but it must meet strict requirements. Please note that for domestic flights within New Zealand on Q300 aircraft, car seats can’t be brought on board, but they can be checked in at no charge. You must also contact us when you book if you’re bringing a car seat.
- Infants not occupying a seat don’t have a carry-on baggage or checked-baggage allowance.
We have some important information for both expectant mums and those who’ve recently given birth. Please read through the details on our Pregnancy page before you book.
- Please note: If you’re in the third trimester of your pregnancy you must carry documentation from your doctor stating it’s safe for you to fly.
Children travelling alone
We don’t have the systems, staff or facilities required to take responsibility for unaccompanied children. To ensure your child can travel with us independently please check the requirements on the Children travelling alone page before you book.
Family travel and baggage
If you are travelling with infants or small children you can bring a pram, stroller, portable cot, and highchair as checked baggage, for free, regardless of fare and in addition to any checked-baggage allowance
Family travel and seatingYou can try to get everyone in your family sitting together by making your seat selection when you book online or via Telephone Reservations. Fees apply. Remember to sit infants or children with a parent or an accompanying passenger who can look after them.
- If you are bringing an approved car seat it must be fitted onto a window seat and can’t be in an exit row. See: What do I need to know about bringing a car seat on board? You must also contact us if you're bringing a car seat.
- Parents nursing an infant on their lap, can’t travel in an exit row
- Passengers less than 15 years old can't travel in an exit row
- If you’re booked on an international flight travelling on an Airbus A330 or Boeing 787 you can request a bassinet
- Can my infant travel in a baby carrier or harness?
- Where can I change my infant during the flight?
- Do I need a passport or ID for my infant or children?
- Can I request a bassinet for my infant?
- What do I need to know about travelling with my infant?
- Children travelling alone
- Do I need to bring food and drinks for my infant?
- What do I need to know about bringing a car seat on board?
- Can I bring a pram, stroller, portable cot or highchair as checked baggage?
- Pregnancy and air travel