Independent travellers and accompanying passenger
To travel with Jetstar, it’s important that you can travel independently. We require that:
- the customer is able to self-toilet, if required, during the course of the flight; and
- the customer can eat or drink during the course of the flight without assistance; and
- the customer can administer medication themselves during the course of the flight, if required; and
- the customer is able to communicate in some way that they have understood the safety instructions and emergency instructions of our crew; and
- if transfers between mobility aids or from a mobility aid to an aircraft seat are required, either:
- the passenger is able to transfer themself without assistance; or
- the passenger is able to be transferred using a slide board and slide cloth by our staff without the assistance of an accompanying assistant/carer.
If the customer does not meet all of these requirements, the customer will need to travel with an Accompanying passenger. If you need help with any of these tasks, you must travel with an Accompanying passenger.
An Accompanying Customer is an independent, paying traveller who, in Jetstar’s opinion, is able to and will provide the assistance, supervision or both for their companion. They are required to assist their companion with:
- Using the toilet on the aircraft and on the ground
- Dealing with in-flight and ground emergencies
- Transporting carry-on baggage and equipment
- Medicating and medical procedures
- Eating and drinking
- Administrative procedures such as the completion of immigration documentation
- Boarding and disembarking including assisting with transfers to and from mobility devices and seating where necessary
- Assembling and disassembling wheelchairs
Jetstar considers that the Accompanying Customers for children must be at least 15 years old. One Accompanying Customer can assist a maximum of four customers that do not meet Jetstar’s independent traveller requirements.
Customers with an intellectual disability may be required to travel with an Accompanying Customer.
See Jetstar’s independent traveller requirements for children travelling alone