Bulky items can be included as part of any checked baggage allowance included in your fare, if there is enough space available.
The maximum lengths for acceptable bulky items differ depending on the aircraft type. Please note, if your journey contains multiple flights with two or more aircraft types, the lesser of the limits applies.
Acceptable bulky items
If the bulky item causes your entire checked luggage to exceed any checked baggage allowance included in your fare, excess baggage charges will apply. Please refer to our Checked Baggage section for more detailed information.
If you’re travelling with bulky items, make sure you arrive at the airport when check in opens for your flight. All bulky items must be packed appropriately in accordance with the guidelines below, before being presented at check-in.
Bicycles will not be accepted for carriage unless they are suitably packed in a Bike Pack. Jetstar does not provide Bike Packs at the airport, so it is your responsibility to obtain one before your travel date. The bike must be packed in the following condition:
- Tyres must be deflated.
- Pedals must be removed.
- Handle bars must be fixed parallel to the frame.
- If the bicycle’s length exceeds 180cm, the front wheel should be removed and fixed next to the rear wheel, within the pack.
- If the Bike Pack constitutes excess baggage, then excess baggage charges will apply.
Firearms for hunting or sporting purposes
Firearms cannot be carried on flights operated by Jetstar Asia (3K), Valuair (VF) and Jetstar Japan (GK). We may agree to carry firearms and ammunition for hunting or sporting purposes as Checked Baggage on flights operated by Jetstar (JQ). If we do, these must be packed in accordance with all applicable national and international laws and regulations. Our approval may be withheld at our sole discretion. Applications for the carriage of firearms and ammunition for hunting or sporting purposes must be submitted at least two working days prior to your anticipated departure date. Please refer to our Dangerous Goods section for more information.
Fishing rods must be protected in a PVC cylinder, with screw ends obtained from a local fishing store, or in PVC plumbing or electrical tubing. Fishing rods must not be strapped to suitcases. Jetstar accepts no responsibility for unprotected fishing rods.
Scuba diving equipment
Scuba diving equipment must not be included for carriage unless presented as Checked Baggage and prepared as follows:
- Compressed air/gas tanks will only be accepted if empty and regulator tap is open.
- Knives must be carried in checked baggage.
- Spear guns must be unloaded with spears packed separately and suitably protected (e.g. with polystyrene).
- A surfboard, (including the surfboard bag), must not exceed 1.9 metres for Jetstar flights operated by an A320, A321 or B737 aircraft, and 2.77 meters for Jetstar flights operated by an A330.
- Surfboards will not be accepted for carriage unless they are placed in an appropriate surfboard bag.
- Surfboard fins must be removed, where possible, and placed in an enclosed compartment in the bag, or taped to the board.
Windsurfers cannot be carried as baggage due to the length of the sail mast.
Large instruments must be carried in the aircraft hold as checked baggage and must be appropriately packed.