Flying with kids? Welcome aboard!
Lots of families fly with Jetstar and we’re always happy to help make things easier.
Get organised ahead of your flight by adding extras such as checked baggage, kids’ meals and in-flight entertainment when you book.
Please note, there are some important details to keep in mind before you book your family trip with us.
Infants (under 2 years)
- At Jetstar we refer to children under 2 years old as infants.
- If you’re travelling with your infant on your lap, there’s an infant fee on all flights except New Zealand and Japan domestic flights and flights to and from Cook Islands.
- There’s no carry-on baggage allowance for infants travelling on their parent’s lap, but on all flights where you’re travelling with an infant or small child, you can bring a pram, stroller, portable cot and highchair as checked baggage for free, and you also won’t be charged the oversized item fee for any of these items.
- We don’t carry infant food or formula on board, but we're happy for you to bring your own.
- You can purchase a seat for your infant and also bring a car seat on board for them to sit in. Car seats must meet strict requirements. You must contact us by phone to add a car seat to your booking as a limited number can be fitted on each flight. Please note, on domestic flights within New Zealand on Q300 aircraft, car seats can’t be brought on board, but they can be checked in at no charge.
- Infants not occupying a seat don’t have a carry-on baggage or checked-baggage allowance.
We have some important information for both expectant mums and those who’ve recently given birth. Please read through the details on our Pregnancy page before you book.
- Please note: If you’re in the third trimester of your pregnancy you must carry documentation from your doctor stating it's safe for you to fly. View the documentation requirements on the Pregnancy and air travel page.
Children travelling alone
We don’t have the systems, staff or facilities required to take responsibility for unaccompanied children. To ensure your child can travel with us independently please check the requirements on the Children travelling alone page before you book.
Family travel and baggage
If you are travelling with infants or small children you can bring a pram, stroller, portable cot, and highchair as checked baggage, for free, regardless of fare and in addition to any checked-baggage allowance.
Family travel and seating
You can select and purchase seats for your family when you book through our website or telephone reservations. If you choose not to select your seats, they will be randomly assigned at check in, at no additional cost. We do our best to seat families together when we allocate seating but we can’t guarantee this, so it’s best to select your seats when you book.
- If you are bringing an approved car seat it must be fitted onto a window seat and can’t be in an exit row. See: What do I need to know about bringing a car seat on board? You must also contact us if you're bringing a car seat.
- Parents nursing an infant on their lap, can’t travel in an exit row
- Passengers less than 15 years old can't travel in an exit row
- If you’re booked on an international flight travelling on a Boeing 787 you can request a bassinet
- Can I request a bassinet for my infant?
- What do I need to know about travelling with my infant?
- Can my infant travel in a baby carrier or harness?
- Do I need a passport or ID for my infant or children?
- Where can I change my infant during the flight?
- Children travelling alone
- Do I need to bring food and drinks for my infant?
- What do I need to know about bringing a car seat on board?
- Pregnancy and air travel
- Can I bring a pram, stroller, portable cot or highchair as checked baggage?