JETSTAR JAPAN Co., Ltd.
CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE
(Passenger and Baggage)
30 May 2017
1. DEFINITIONS OF EXPRESSIONS USED
Airline Designator Code means the two or three characters or letters which identify particular Carriers.
Applicable Fare means the fare paid at a valid fare at the time of the Booking being made. Even if any different valid fare exists at a departure date, we will not adjust the payment of any fare differentials.
Authentification code means a reference number, a bar code or a QR code that can be found in an air ticket, an itinerary, a receipt, and/or an electric device screen
Authorised Agent means a passenger sales agent designated by Jetstar Japan in the sale of air passenger transportation on Jetstar Japan services.
Baggage means, unless otherwise provided, your personal property accompanying you on your trip. It consists of both your Checked Baggage and Carry-on Baggage.
Baggage Allowance means the amount of Carry-on Baggage and Checked Baggage (if any) which is included in your fare as stated in 7.1 for travel on Jetstar Japan services.
Baggage Check means those parts of your Booking or other documents issued by us or an Authorised Agent which relate to the carriage of your Checked Baggage.
Baggage Identification Tag means the numbered baggage document issued to you that corresponds to the tag attached to each item of Checked Baggage for the purpose of identifying the Checked Baggage.
Booking means the details which we or our Authorised Agent have entered in our system relating to a journey to be made by you or someone for whose travel you are paying.
Booking Reference means the reference issued by us or our Authorised Agent which appears on your Ticket or Itinerary and Invoice and which identifies the Booking you have made with us.
Carry-on Baggage (sometimes referred to as cabin baggage) means any of your Baggage other than Checked Baggage. (You take your Carry-on Baggage into the cabin of the aircraft with you.)
Carrier means an air carrier.
Checked Baggage means that part of your Baggage (if any) which we have taken into our custody for carriage in the hold of the aircraft and for which we have issued a Baggage Identification Tag or Baggage Check or both.
Check-in Deadline means the time limit specified by Jetstar Japan by which you must have completed check-in and received your boarding pass.
Conditions of Carriage means these conditions of carriage and includes the Fare Rules, as applicable.
Convention means whichever of the following applicable to these Conditions of Carriage:
- "Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules Relating to International Carriage by Air", signed at Warsaw, 12 October 1929 (the Warsaw Convention),
- "Warsaw Convention as amended at The Hague in 1955" signed at the Hague on 28 September 1955,
- "Warsaw Convention" as amended by Additional Protocol No. 1 of Montreal 1975,
- "Warsaw Convention as amended at The Hague in 1955" as amended by Additional Protocol No. 2 of Montreal 1975
- "Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules relating to International Carriage by Air", executed at Montreal 28 May 1999 (the Montreal Convention), or
- any other applicable protocols or conventions and any relevant national laws.
Damage includes death of, wounding of or bodily or personal injury to a Passenger and also includes loss, partial loss, theft or other damage to Baggage arising out of or in connection with, either carriage on flights we operate or other services we provide. However, it does not include normal wear and tear of Baggage such as small scratches, scuffs, dents and cuts.
Days means calendar days including all seven days of the week; provided, however, that, for the purpose of notification, the day upon which the notice is sent is not counted.
Domestic Carriage means carriage in which all of the place of departure, the place of destination and the stopping place under a contract of carriage are situated in Japan.
Fare Rules means our rules with respect to any fare and fees that have been approved by or filed with a government authority.
Frequent Flyer Award means a booking issued in exchange for the redemption of frequent flyer points as specified by Jetstar Japan.
Infant means a person who is not yet 2 years of age at the time of commencement of travel.
International Carriage means, except where the Convention is applicable, carriage in which the place of departure, the place of destination and the stopping place under a contract of carriage are situated in two or more countries.
Itinerary and Invoice means a document or documents we or our Authorised Agents issue to Passengers travelling on a Booking which includes the Passenger's name, flight information and notices.
Jetstar Ancillary Products means items including but not limited to purchased baggage, seating, inflight meals, comfort pack and entertainment. Jetstar Ancillary Products exclude hotels, activities, insurance and car hire.
Jetstar Group collectively means Jetstar Japan Co., Ltd., Jetstar Airways Pty Ltd., Jetstar Asia Airways Pte Ltd., and Jetstar Pacific Airlines.
Jetstar Japan, we, us, our for the purposes of these Conditions of Carriage means Jetstar Japan Co., Ltd.
Special Drawing Rights (or SDRs) means the composite unit of currency that is the official unit of exchange of the International Monetary Fund. The amount of the SDR will fluctuate depending on exchange rates.
Ticket means the document issued by Jetstar Japan or an Authorised Agent containing details of a Booking, and includes an electronic ticket.
you, your, yourself means any person with a Booking who is to be carried or who is carried on an aircraft, except members of the crew.
2. WHEN THESE CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE APPLY
2.1 Application of Conditions of Carriage
Except as provided in 2.4, 2.7 and 2.9, these Conditions of Carriage apply wherever 'Jetstar Japan' or our Airline Designator Code 'GK' is shown on a Booking, and in any case where we have a legal liability to you in relation to your flight.
2.2 Gratuitous or reduced fare carriage
These Conditions of Carriage also apply to gratuitous and reduced fare carriage (except to the extent that we have told you otherwise) and Frequent Flyer Award travel.
2.3 Basis of carriage
The carriage of a Passenger on any flight by Jetstar Japan is subject to the followings:
- a Booking,
- these Conditions of Carriage in effect at the time of the carriage,
- the Key Conditions of Carriage in effect at the time of the carriage,
- applicable laws which may include the laws of Japan such as the Civil Aeronautics Act, any international Conventions and court rulings, and may be subject to the jurisdiction of Japanese courts,
- the Fare Rules filed by us with regulatory bodies,
- any specific directions given to a Passenger in writing, or orally by Jetstar Japan staff, and
- the Frequent Flyer Award redemption rules.
2.4 Read Down
If any of these Conditions of Carriage is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, it will be deemed to be valid to the extent necessary so as not to be in conflict with applicable laws and regulations, but if that is not possible, it will be severed from the Conditions of Carriage and the other conditions will remain valid.
2.5 Variation and Waiver
No employee or other person is authorised to vary any of these Conditions of Carriage.
Jetstar Japan may change, modify or amend any provision of these Conditions of Carriage or our regulations without prior notice; provided, however, that, no contract of carriage shall be subject to such change, modification or amendment made after the carriage pursuant to such contract commences.
2.6 Conditions prevail
Subject to 2.7, if any of these Conditions of Carriage is inconsistent with any special arrangements we may have, these Conditions of Carriage will prevail to the extent of the inconsistency.
2.7 Overriding law
These Conditions of Carriage are applicable unless they are inconsistent with any Fare Rules or laws which apply to your carriage with us, in which event the Fare Rules or laws will apply.
2.8 Charter operations
If carriage is performed by Jetstar Japan under a charter agreement, these Conditions of Carriage apply unless Passengers are advised otherwise.
2.9 Other travel arrangements
If Jetstar Japan transports you or arranges to transport you by means other than aircraft, eg. by bus, train or boat, or arranges accommodation or car rental, we do so only as an agent. There may be additional or different conditions of carriage applicable to those arrangements. Where these include limitations of liability that are lower than the limitations of liability in these conditions of carriage, the lower limitation will apply to your non-aircraft arrangements.
If we arrange travel for you on a flight with another Carrier's Airline Designator Code, we do so only as agent for that Carrier and the other Carrier's conditions of carriage will apply. (see also 15.1)
We have arrangements with other Carriers known as 'codeshares'. This means that even if you have made a Booking with us and hold a Ticket for a Jetstar Japan flight showing 'GK' as the Airline Designator Code, you may travel on another Carrier's aircraft.
If such arrangements apply to your flight, we will advise you of the Carrier operating the aircraft before you complete your Booking.
2.11 EC Directive - Package Travel and Holiday Tours (United Kingdom)
We or an Authorised Agent will, if you ask, issue a new Ticket to somebody else to replace your Ticket if:
- your Ticket is one to which the European Community Directive 90/314/EEC on Package Travel and Holiday Tours applies,
- you want to transfer your booking under article 4.3 of the Directive,
- you prove to us or an Authorised Agent that you have satisfied the requirements of Article 4.3 of the directive and are entitled to transfer the booking,
- you give us or an Authorised Agent reasonable notice of your intention to transfer the booking before your date of departure of your flight,
- you give us or an Authorised Agent the full name, address and contact number of the person to whom you want the new Ticket to be issued,
- you deliver your Ticket to us or an Authorised Agent, and
- you pay us or an Authorised Agent a reasonable administration fee for issuing the new Ticket.
3.1 Preparing to travel
You alone are responsible for making all necessary arrangements for your travel and ensuring that you comply with all laws, regulations and orders of the places you will travel to. For example, you will need to find out from relevant embassies or consulates whether you need a passport, visa or other travel document, health document or evidence of onward travel or accommodation.
If we provide assistance or information for any of the above aspects of your travel, we do not release you from your responsibility in respect of these matters.
3.2 Destination - Passenger enquiries
If you are travelling overseas, you should enquire about any local issues and conditions at your destination(s) prior to commencing travel. We may not be able to make a full and complete explanation as to the safety, conditions or other issues that may exist at any destination. Travel advice can be obtained from various sources, including local governments, local consular offices and the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the United States Department of State.
3.3 Travel Insurance
Our liability to you is limited and it is recommended that you purchase travel insurance, which can cover things like:
- changes in travel plans and travel cancellation,
- medical and hospital expenses,
- personal injury and death,
- delayed, damaged or lost Baggage and other items,
- missed flight connections and additional expenses.
(a) We may refuse to carry you if we, acting reasonably, are not completely satisfied that it is safe for you to fly. Before you make a Booking you should tell us if you suffer from any illness, disease or other condition which may make it unsafe for you or other Passengers if you fly.
(b) Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
Some studies have concluded that prolonged immobility may be a risk factor in the formation of blood clots in the legs (DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis). If you feel you may be at risk from DVT or other health problems Jetstar Japan recommends you consult with your doctor before travel.
Information on health issues can be found on our website at jetstar.com or in our inflight magazine.
If you are pregnant, the following precautions must be observed.
For travel on Japan domestic flights after the first 35 weeks of your pregnancy:
For travel on international flights after the first 28 weeks of your pregnancy: you need to carry a certificate or letter from a registered medical practitioner or registered midwife confirming:
- the estimated date of delivery
- whether it is a single or multiple pregnancy; and
- that there are no complications with your pregnancy
For flights of four hours or more:
if you are having no complications with your pregnancy you can travel up to the end of the 36th week of your pregnancy for single pregnancies or up to the end of the 32nd week for multiple pregnancies (for example, twins)
Medical clearance is required if you are having complications with your pregnancy.
For flights of less than four hours:
If you are having no complications with your pregnancy you can travel up to the end of the 40th week of your pregnancy for single pregnancies and up to the end of the 36th week for multiple pregnancies (for example, twins)
Medical clearance is required if you are having complications with your pregnancy.
If you wish to travel within seven days after delivery, medical clearance is required. Infants cannot travel for 48 hours after delivery and need medical clearance to travel between three and seven days after delivery.
We do not represent that travel is safe for you at any particular point during your pregnancy. You must seek advice from your own medical practitioner prior to your flight. The periods referred to above are only our minimum requirements.
Some countries place limitations on the entry of non-national pregnant women. Check with the relevant embassy or consulate before you travel to confirm any further limitations.
You agree that your personal data will be furnished to Jetstar Japan by you or your agent, will be retained by Jetstar Japan or, if Jetstar Japan deems necessary, will be transmitted by Jetstar Japan to any of its own offices including other Jetstar Group airlines, and other Carriers, the providers of travel services, government authorities or other entity or agency in countries to be flown from, into or over, or in countries of transit and transfer, for the purpose of making a reservation for Carriage, obtaining ancillary services, facilitating immigration and entry requirements or making available such data to government authorities or for any other purpose which Jetstar Japan deems necessary in order to facilitate any convenience of the travel for you.
4.1 When is a Booking made?
A Booking for a flight is made when recorded as accepted and confirmed by Jetstar Japan or an Authorised Agent. If you ask, we or our Authorised Agent will give you written confirmation of your Booking. We do not accept any responsibility for any loss you may incur as a result of making arrangements for travel on Jetstar Japan through anyone other than Jetstar Japan or its Authorised Agent.
4.2 Payment essential
Even if you have a Booking for a flight, if Jetstar Japan has not received your payment you will not be carried.
Reconfirmation is not required for Jetstar Japan flights. However, you may need to reconfirm your reservation on any other carriers on which you intend to travel. You should check the reconfirmation requirements with those other Carriers.
4.4 Some Bookings cannot be changed
Pursuant to the Fare Rules, some fare types may be restricted so that you:
- cannot change or cancel any Booking, or
- may request to change or cancel a Booking, subject to a certain provision of the Fare Rules, or
- may request to change a Booking only by paying any applicable fare difference, additional service fee or change fee (note: Jetstar Japan may revise fees from time to time. Please contact our website on jetstar.com for further details.). Only Jetstar Japan or Authorised Agent may change or cancel a Booking.
4.5 Specific assistance
Generally we will not allow a person to travel without an Accompanying Passenger unless the person can travel independently, meaning that they can travel safely without assistance, supervision or both. We do not have the systems, staff or facilities required to assume responsibility for such assistance and supervision.
Children not yet 12 years of age will be regarded as requiring supervision and will not be able to travel independently on the basis that they may cause a disruption or endanger themselves or others if travelling unaccompanied.
We do provide minimum specific assistance services to accommodate customers who need to travel with a suitable trained assistance dog, such as a service dog, partner dog, seeing-eye dog or hearing assistance dog, who require a wheelchair (see 5.3), that have a vision impairment, that have a hearing impairment, that require use of a torso restraint in-flight or that require the use of travel oxygen in-flight. If you need to use these special services please make arrangements through Jetstar.com or the Jetstar Japan Contact Centre. Animals other than a suitable trained assistance dog will not be carried unless required by law. See also clause 5.3.
Accompanying Passenger means a paying Passenger who, in our reasonable opinion, can travel independently and is able to and will provide the appropriate assistance, supervision, or both, as is required for the particular customer they are accompanying. As a guide, for international flights Jetstar Japan generally will not consider a passenger to be an appropriate Accompanying Passenger for a child unless the passenger is at least 15 years old. For domestic Japan flights Jetstar Japan generally will not consider a passenger to be an appropriate Accompanying Passenger for a child unless the passenger is at least 12 years old.
5.1 What your fare covers
Your fare covers the flight(s) for you and your applicable Baggage Allowance:
- from the airport at the place of departure specified in your Booking,
- to the airport at the place of destination specified in your Booking.
5.2 What your fare does not cover
Your fare does not include ground transport between one airport and another or between the airport and any other place. Meals and refreshments are not included in your fare unless the applicable Fare Rules provide otherwise (for example for Business fares or codeshare services).
5.3 Carriage of Wheelchairs and Assistance Dogs
Your fare also covers carriage of your assistance dog or wheelchair, if you require one to travel. Please notify Jetstar Japan Contact Centre of your requirements when you make your Booking. Limits may apply.
Some fares types are non-refundable. Please refer to the applicable Fare Rules for more information.
Even if your fare is non-refundable, if you do not travel you may be able to claim a refund of certain charges or taxes excluding fuel and insurance surcharges. If there is a charge or tax which Jetstar Japan collects on a per passenger basis to remit to an airport or taxing authority, and we do not have to remit that amount as a result of you not travelling, we will refund that amount to you, after deducting an administration fee (see jetstar.com for current fees). If the administration fee incurred exceeds the amount of the refund, no refund will be paid.
5.4.2 Jetstar Ancillary Products
Jetstar Ancillary Products are non-refundable unless booked with your original booking where the fare is refundable in accordance with the applicable Fare Rules.
5.5 Paying for your Booking
You or someone on your behalf must pay for your Booking, which means that payment must be made for:
- the applicable fare,
- any other applicable surcharges, fees or taxes, and
- in case of any changes to your Booking, any applicable fees, etc. relating to changes to your Booking, which may include change fees and fare differentials.
You must pay for your Booking in the currency specified by Jetstar Japan.
5.7 Charges and taxes
The price of your Booking may include significant amounts of surcharges, fees and taxes. You may also be required to pay additional charges, fees and taxes not marked on the Itinerary and Invoice direct to third parties.
6.1 Ticket not transferable
You must not give or sell your Booking to anyone else to use - the passenger named in the Booking must be the person who travels. A Booking is not transferable to another person except under with a permitted name change in accordance the applicable Fare Rules. If someone else presents themselves to travel on your Booking and we discover that that person is not you, we may refuse to carry that person. However, if we do not discover that the Booking has been transferred (other than in accordance with the applicable Fare Rules) and as a result carry the person, we are not obliged to replace your Booking or give you a refund.
6.2 Booking and travel dates
(a) No open Bookings
Unless the Fare Rules provide otherwise, you cannot hold an open Booking, where the date and time, the flight number, etc. are not concretely specified.
(b) Frequent Flyer redemption travel
Frequent Flyer redemption bookings are valid for one year from the date of the first Booking. Any changes you make to your Booking must be for a flight within this period.
6.3 Booking Reference
You must keep your Booking Reference secure so that no one else can misuse it to refer to your Booking or change your Booking.
7.1 Baggage allowance
You may carry a certain amount of Carry-on Baggage as specified by us, without additional charge provided it complies with these Conditions of Carriage. Infants not occupying a seat do not have a Carry-on Baggage allowance.
Some fare or bundle types do not include any Checked Baggage allowance. You can add an allowance by paying the applicable fee. Please refer to the applicable fare and bundle rules for more information. These are available to you at the time of booking. The current allowances and restrictions for Carry-on Baggage and Checked Baggage are set out on our website and may change. If a change in the applicable free Carry-on Baggage allowance, or in the restrictions within Jetstar Japan's control for Carry-on Baggage and Checked Baggage, will affect your booked travel, we will give at least one month's notice of the change by updating the Baggage section on our website.
7.2 Prohibited items
We will not carry, and you must not try to bring on board the following prohibited items:
- items prohibited by any applicable national or international law, regulation or order,
- weapons of any type (see 7.3),
- items which are likely to endanger the aircraft or persons or property on board the aircraft, or items that may become or are dangerous, such as those items specified in the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air, and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations. Further information is available from us on request,
- any other items which we have identified to you as prohibited items including but not limited to items we reasonably determine are unsuitable for carriage because they are dangerous, unsafe or because of their weight, size, shape or character, or which are fragile or perishable,
- brief cases and attaché cases incorporating dangerous goods such as lithium batteries,
- pyrotechnic devices, disabling devices such as mace, pepper spray, etc containing an irritant or incapacitating substance are totally forbidden.
- radioactive substance, caustic substance, oxidizing substance, or other substances prohibited by any applicable national or international law, regulation or order.
If we discover that you are carrying prohibited items, we may do whatever we consider appropriate and what is reasonable in the circumstances, including disposing of the item without notifying you.
We will not be responsible for any loss or Damage caused to any prohibited items if they are brought on board despite being prohibited items.
We do not carry any firearms or ammunition as Carry-on or Checked Baggage.
7.4 Restrictions on checked baggage
You must not include in your Checked Baggage:
- fragile, delicate or perishable items,
- items with a special value, such as money, jewellery, precious metals, silverware,
- negotiable papers, share certificates, securities or other valuable documents,
- electronic equipment,
- commercial goods or business documents, or
- passports and other travel documents.
As our liability is limited (see 15), we will not be liable for any inconvenience or Damage you suffer if you have ignored our requirements and included the item/s as Checked Baggage.
7.5 Restrictions on carry-on baggage
All Carry-on Baggage must comply with all applicable size and weight restrictions. You must not include in Carry-on Baggage knives, sharp objects or cutting implements of any kind and any length, whether of metal or other material. These items must be packed in your Checked Baggage. They cannot be carried in your Carry-on Baggage or on your person. If they are, the articles will be removed and not returned.
Passengers carrying hypodermic needles will need to declare them at the screening point. Where possible documentation or identification to confirm the Passenger’s medical condition should be produced. Medication should have a professionally printed label identifying the medication or a manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label affixed. Please contact Jetstar Japan should you have a question.
We do not accept any responsibility for items which we refuse to carry and which are not carried as Checked Baggage.
7.6 Excess baggage
You must not take on board more Carry-on Baggage than allowed (see 7.1). Charges will apply to all Checked Baggage in excess of the Checked Baggage allowance. See jetstar.com for current charges. Jetstar Japan may not be able to carry your excess baggage.
8. SECURITY CHECK
Passengers must respond to the request from Jetstar Japan, the government, or airport officers when they perform the following actions. However, this shall not apply when they consider such actions unnecessary.
- require you to submit to clothing and body searches,
- require you to submit your Baggage to searches or inspections, and
- search or inspect your Baggage with or without you.
If you refuse to submit yourselves or your baggage to a search, we shall refuse to carry you and your baggage.
Except as otherwise provided by the relevant Convention or other applicable law, if a search or screen causes Damage to you, or a search, screening or x-ray causes Damage to your Baggage, we will not be liable for the Damage unless it was caused by our negligence.
9.1 Check-in Deadline
Check in Deadlines apply and may be strictly enforced. To help us get your flight away on time, ensure you are at the boarding gate by the time specified. You will not be able to check-in after the Check-In Deadlines. Arrival after these Check-In Deadlines may result in you forfeiting the entire fare paid. The aircraft will not be held for you if you arrive late at the boarding gate. You cannot check in at the boarding gate. Please see jetstar.com for your checking in options.
9.2 At check-in
At check-in counter or boarding gate, all Passengers, including children, must present your Authentification Code, Itinerary and Invoice or a boarding pass which is valid for the flight you are going to embark. We may also ask you at check-in to present acceptable forms of identification and, for infants not requiring their own seat, proof of age (under 2). If youfail to comply with these requirements, then you may not be allowed to travel. For all international travel, necessary travel documents including a valid passport with the required validity period will be required. (see 3.1)
At check-in, we will issue your boarding pass and Baggage Check for any Checked Baggage. Keep these with you throughout your travel.
9.3 If you are late
If you arrive late at check-in or the boarding gate (see 9.1), you will forfeit your Booking and no refund will be paid, unless otherwise provided in the applicable Fare Rules, or these Conditions of Carriage, or otherwise notified by Jetstar Japan or required by law. Except as otherwise provided in the Convention or any applicable laws, we are not liable to you for any loss or Damage you may suffer as a result of your late arrival.
10. SCHEDULES, LATE OR CANCELLED FLIGHTS
(a) Jetstar Japan does not guarantee it will be able to carry you and your Baggage in accordance with the scheduled date and time of the flights specified. Schedules may change without notice for a range of reasons including but not limited to bad weather, air traffic control delays, strikes, technical disruptions and late inbound aircraft. Flight times do not form part of your contract of carriage with us.
(b) Before we accept your Booking, we or our Authorised Agents will tell you the scheduled departure time of your flight and it will be shown on your Itinerary and Invoice. We may need to change the scheduled departure time of your flight after your Itinerary and Invoice has been issued. If you give us or our Authorised Agents contact information, we or they will try to let you know about any changes.
(c) If, after you pay for your Booking, we make a significant change to the scheduled departure time of your flight or the flight is cancelled (except where this is due to circumstances beyond our control) and:
- this change means you are unable to use your Booking for its intended purpose, and
- we or our Authorised Agents cannot book you on another flight which you are prepared to accept;
we will give you a fare refund. Unless otherwise required by law, we will not be responsible for paying any costs or expenses you may incur as a result of the changed time or cancellation.
10.2 Changes due to circumstances beyond our control
Where a significant delay or cancellation is caused by circumstances beyond our control, including, but not limited to, war, civil disturbance, fire, floods, weather events, acts of God, acts of Government or of any other authorities, accident or failure of machinery or equipment not under Jetstar's custody or control, or industrial action, whether you have checked in or not, Jetstar Japan will get you on the next Jetstar Japan flight with seats available so that you can get to your destination, or we will refund the fare. We will not be responsible for paying any costs or expenses you may incur as a result of the delay or cancellation, unless otherwise required by law.
10.3 No flight connections provided
Unless you have been advised otherwise by Jetstar Japan, you must collect your Checked Baggage after each individual flight. It is the Passenger's responsibility when making Bookings to allow time for Baggage collection and recheck. Please see jetstar.com for more information.
11. REFUSAL OF CARRIAGE/DENIED BOARDING
11.1 Refusal of carriage
Even if you have a Booking, we may refuse to carry you and your Baggage if any of the following circumstances have occurred or we reasonably believe will occur:
- if carrying you or your Baggage may put the safety of the aircraft or the safety or health of any person in the aircraft in danger or at risk,
- if carrying you or your Baggage may materially affect the comfort of any person in the aircraft,
- if carrying you will break government laws, regulations, orders or an immigration direction from a country to which you are travelling or are to depart from,
- because you have refused to allow a security check to be carried out on you or your Baggage,
- because you do not appear to have a Booking,
- if you fail to comply with any applicable law, rule, regulation or order or these Conditions of Carriage,
- if you fail to complete the check-in process by the required time (see 9.1) or fail to arrive at the boarding gate on time,
- because you have not obeyed the instructions of our ground staff or a member of the crew of the aircraft relating to safety or security,
- because you have not complied with our medical requirements (see 3.4),
- because you require special assistance and you have not previously made arrangements for (see 4.5),
- if you are drunk or under the influence of alcohol or drugs,
- if you are, or we reasonably believe you are, in unlawful possession of drugs,
- if your mental or physical state is a danger or risk to you, the aircraft or any person in it,
- if you have used threatening, abusive or insulting words towards our ground staff or a member of the crew of the aircraft or otherwise behaved in a threatening manner,
- if you have committed a criminal offence during the check-in or boarding processes or on board the aircraft,
- if you have deliberately interfered with a member of our ground staff or the crew of the aircraft carrying out their duties,
- if you have put the safety of either the aircraft or any person in it in danger,
- if you are not wearing footwear,
- if you have made a threat,
- because you have committed misconduct on a previous flight and we are not satisfied that misconduct will not recur,
- because you cannot prove you are the person specified in the Booking on which you wish to travel,
- because your Booking:
- is not paid for,
- has been transferred,
- has been acquired unlawfully,
- has been acquired from someone other than us or an Authorised Agent,
- contains an alteration which has not been made by us or an Authorised Agent,
- is counterfeit or otherwise invalid.
- if you attempt to enter a country in which you have landed as a transit passenger without permission,
- if you have refused to give your travel documents to a member of our staff or allowed us to copy your travel documents, or you have destroyed your travel documents during the flight.
In any of the situations in this 11.1, we may remove you from a flight, even after you have boarded, without any liability on our part, and cancel any subsequent flights on us on your Itinerary and Invoice.
If you are denied boarding due to overbooking of a scheduled flight for which you have a Booking, we will try to get you to your destination within a reasonable time of your original scheduled arrival time. If we do not, we will provide compensation and any care required by any law which may apply or in accordance with our policy if there is no applicable law. This 11.2 does not apply if you fail to meet the Check-in Deadline and boarding requirements in 9.1 or we exercise our right to refuse to carry you.
If we are unable to accommodate your Carry-on Baggage Allowance, we may ask you if we can stow it in the aircraft hold as Checked Baggage. In these circumstances you will not be charged for the relevant Checked Baggage.
12. CONDUCT DURING FLIGHT
12.1 Obey directions
To maximise Passenger comfort, safety and security, you must comply with the following requirements, and all other directions of any crew member on your Jetstar Japan flight, when on board:
- stow Carry-on Baggage under the seat in front of you or in the overhead lockers,
- take care when you open overhead lockers, since Carry-on Baggage may move during flight,
- keep your seatbelt fastened when seated,
- remain seated with your seatbelt securely fastened during turbulence,
- stay seated as directed, in particular while the aircraft is moving on the tarmac,
- in addition to compliance with applicable laws, regulations and announcement by the government, do not operate any electronic devices including cellular telephones, laptop computers, recorders, radios, Mp3/CD players, electronic games, laser products or transmitting devices, walkie-talkies, remote or radio controlled toys that could interfere with the flight. If you fail to comply with our requests in this regard, we may retain the device until the end of the flight. Hearing aids and heart pacemakers are permitted.
- do not smoke,
- if you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation and only alcohol served on your Jetstar Japan flight as part of its inflight bar service. Consumption of alcohol purchased prior to your flight is not permitted onboard the aircraft,
- use infant restraints as directed, and
- do not behave in a manner to which other Passengers may reasonably object.
12.2 Control of Passengers
We will take all reasonable steps to maintain the comfort, safety and security of all Passengers. If necessary, we may restrain you or remove you from any flight anywhere, for example if you:
- conduct yourself so as to endanger the safety of the aircraft or any person or property on board,
- obstruct, or fail to comply with any direction of, any crew member,
- behave in a manner to which other Passengers may reasonably object,
- interfere with a crew member who is performing his or her duties on board an aircraft,
- tamper or interfere with the aircraft or its equipment.
If we offload you, you may be refused further carriage on Jetstar Japan and may be prosecuted for any offences committed on board the aircraft.
12.3 Diversion costs caused by unacceptable behaviour
If as a result of your behaviour we divert the aircraft to an unscheduled destination and make you leave the aircraft, you must pay us the reasonable costs of the diversion.
12.4 Smoking prohibited
Smoking is not permitted on any Jetstar Japan aircraft.
13. AFTER THE FLIGHT
13.1 Collect your Checked Baggage
You must collect your Checked Baggage as soon as it is available for collection.
13.2 If you cannot find your Checked Baggage
If you cannot find your Checked Baggage, produce your Baggage Identification Tag to us. Only the person to whom the Baggage Identification Tag was issued is entitled to collect that Baggage.
13.3 Release of Checked Baggage by us
If we have Baggage you claim is yours but you do not have the Baggage Identification Tag, we will release the Baggage to you only if you:
- produce adequate proof of entitlement to it,
- undertake in writing to us that you will reimburse us for any loss, damage or expense incurred as a result of that release, and
- comply with any other reasonable directions given to you by us.
13.4 Disposal of Baggage by us
If you do not collect your Checked Baggage and you have not claimed it within 28 Days after your flight, we may sell or otherwise dispose of it without notifying you and without liability on our part.
We are not liable for any loss you may suffer as a result of your leaving any belongings on an aircraft when you disembark (unless the loss was caused by our fault) or in the airport terminal or lounge.
13.5 If you collect the wrong bag
If you pick up the wrong bag from the Baggage carousel, it is your responsibility immediately to return the bag at your own cost to the baggage claims officer or airport manager at the airport where you collected it.
14. REFUSAL OF ENTRY AND FINES
14.1 Refusal of entry
If you are refused permission to enter a country and if a government authority orders us to return you to your place of origin or remove you to another country:
- you must pay for any detention costs and the return or other fare,
- we may, at our discretion, set off any refund owing to you, including for Booked but unused flights, against the amount of that return or other fare (if unpaid), and
- we will not refund the fare for carrying you to the place where you were denied entry.
14.2 Reimbursement of costs
If we are ordered to pay any fine or penalty at any time, or incur any expense, costs, loss or Damage ('losses') by reason of you being denied entry into any country, or because of your failure to comply with any law, regulation, order or requirement, or because of your behaviour, health or medical condition, you must reimburse us for all losses plus all legal costs and other expenses reasonably incurred. We may, at our discretion, set off any refund owing to you for Booked but unused flights against any such amounts.
15. LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE
15.1 Our Conditions of Carriage
These Conditions of Carriage govern our liability to you. The liability of any other Carrier involved in your journey will be determined by their own conditions of carriage.
15.2 Our liability for your death, injury or delay
- Where your travel is wholly within Japan with no international sectors, it is subject to the provisions of the Civil Code, the Consumer Contract Act, and other applicable laws in Japan.
(b) International Carriage
- For any Damages up to 113,100 SDRs in respect of death or bodily injury caused by an accident on board the aircraft or during embarking or disembarking, we will not exclude or limit our liability. However, any liability we may have for such Damage may be reduced in accordance with applicable law by any negligence on your part that causes or contributes to the Damage.
- We will not be liable for Damages in respect of death or bodily injury to the extent that they exceed for each Passenger 113,100 SDRs, if we prove that:
(i) such Damage was not due to the negligence or other wrongful act or omission of us or our agents, or
(ii) such Damage was solely due to the negligence or other wrongful act or omission of a third party
- In the case of passenger delay;
(i) where the Warsaw Convention applies, we will be liable for recoverable Damage except when we can prove that we took all necessary measures to avoid the Damage or that it was impossible for us to take such measures,
(ii) where the Montreal Convention applies, we will be liable for recoverable Damage except when we can prove that we took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the Damage or that it was impossible for us to take such measures. Our liability under the Montreal Convention is limited to 4,694 SDRs.
(c) European Community
If your Ticket was purchased in the European Community and your travel is from or to a point in the European Community:
- we will, without delay and in any event not later than 15 days after the identity of the natural person entitled to compensation has been established, make such advance payments as may be required to meet immediate economic needs on a basis proportionate to the hardship suffered,
- an advance payment will not be less than the equivalent of 15,000 SDRs per Passenger in the event of the death of a Passenger,
- an advance payment does not mean that we admit liability and it may be offset against any subsequent sums paid on the basis of our liability.
An advance payment is not returnable unless:
- we prove that the damage was caused or contributed by negligence of the Passenger or the person who received the payment, or
- we prove that the person who received the payment was not entitled to compensation.
- We are not responsible for any illness, injury or disability, including death, attributable to your physical condition or for the aggravation of such condition.
15.3 Our liability for damage to your baggage
- We will be liable only for Damage occurring during air Carriage booked on our Airline Designator Code. If we check Baggage on the flight of another carrier, we only do so as agent for that Carrier. Nevertheless, with respect to Checked Baggage, you may also have a right of action against the first or last Carrier.
- We are not liable for any Damage to your Carry-on Baggage unless such Damage is caused by our negligence.
- We are not liable for any Damage caused by your Baggage. You are responsible for any Damage caused by your Baggage to other persons or property, including our property.
- We are not liable for normal wear and tear of Baggage such as small scratches, scuffs, dents and cuts.
- Except to the extent required by law, we are not liable for Damage to items which you are asked not to include in your Checked Baggage (under 7.4).
- If the weight of your Checked Baggage is not recorded on your Baggage Check we will presume it is not more than the applicable Baggage Allowance.
- Where your travel is wholly within Japan and is not International Travel, it is subject to the provisions of the Civil Code, the Consumer Contract Act and other applicable laws of Japan.
- Our Liability for loss for Checked Baggage is limited to ¥150,000 per Passenger unless the loss is due to Jetstar Japan’s intention or gross negligence.
(c) International Carriage
- Our liability for Damage to Checked Baggage is limited by the Convention except where you prove that the Damage resulted from an act or failure to act either done with the intention to cause damage or recklessly and with knowledge that damage would probably result.
- Where the Warsaw Convention applies, the limit is 250 francs for each kilo of your Checked Baggage affected and 5,000 francs for your Carry-on Baggage, unless Article 25 of the Warsaw Convention applies, in which case these limits do not apply.
- Where the Montreal Convention applies, the limit is 1,131 SDRs, cumulative for both Checked Baggage and Carry-on Baggage, unless Article 22.5 of the Montreal Convention applies, in which case these limits do not apply. In the case of Checked Baggage, we will not be liable if the baggage was defective. We will only be liable for Carry-on Baggage if we were at fault.
- If neither the Warsaw nor the Montreal Convention applies, different limits may apply.
15.4 Liability for breach of these Conditions of Carriage
To the extent permitted by the Consumer Contracts Act of Japan and other applicable laws and regulations, we exclude all liability for any costs, expenses, losses or Damages whatsoever that may arise in any way in connection with the carriage, or if they cannot be excluded, our liability for a breach of these Conditions of Carriage will be limited to either supplying the services again or paying the cost of having the services supplied again, as determined by us in our absolute discretion.
16. CLAIMS BY YOU
16.1 Death or personal injury claims
- If you wish to make a claim against us relating to personal injury or death, you or your personal representative should notify us in writing as soon as possible.
16.2 Baggage claims
Any claim for loss of or Damage to Checked Baggage or Carry-on Baggage must be made in writing within the following timeframes:
- 3 days in the case of Damage to or loss or destruction of part only of an item of Checked Baggage, after the date of receipt of the remainder of the item,
- 21 days in the case of loss or destruction of the whole of an item of Checked Baggage,
- 3 days in the case of Damage to or loss or destruction of Carry-on Baggage.
- 7 days in the case of Damage to your Checked Baggage,
- 21 days in the case of delay of an item of Checked Baggage from the date on which the Baggage has been placed at your disposal.
If you miss these deadlines, you will lose any right to claim.
If you wish to make a claim against us for loss or Damage to Checked Baggage or Carry-on Baggage, please present the Baggage at the arrival airport.
16.3 Clothing damage
Any incident involving Damage to your clothing worn or taken into the aircraft cabin must be immediately reported to our cabin crew.
16.4 Limitation of claims
Unless otherwise required by law or your right to claim for Damages has expired earlier as provided elsewhere in these Conditions of Carriage, you will have no right to claim for Damages if court proceedings are not brought within two years from:
- the date of your arrival at your destination,
- the date the aircraft should have arrived, or
- the date on which your carriage stopped.
- We are not liable for any Damage arising from our compliance with any laws or government regulations or your failure to comply with the same.
- These Conditions of Carriage (including any exclusion or limitation of liability) apply to and are for the benefit of our Authorised Agents, employees and representatives and agents to the same extent as they apply to us.
- The total amount that you can recover from us, our Authorised Agents, employees, representatives and agents will not be more than the total amount of our liability, if any.
- Except where these Conditions of Carriage provide otherwise, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, our liability, if any, is limited to proven direct Damages. We will not in any circumstances be liable for indirect Damages and in no event will our obligations exceed any liability specified in these Conditions of Carriage.
- Nothing in these Conditions of Carriage:
- except where we say otherwise, gives up any exclusion or limitation of liability to which we are entitled under any laws which may apply, or
- gives up any defence available to us under any laws which apply including against any public social insurance body or any person liable to pay, or who has paid, compensation for the death, wounding or other bodily injury of a Passenger.
- To the extent permitted by law, Jetstar Japan excludes all liability for any costs, expenses, losses or Damages whatsoever that may arise in any way in connection with the carriage.
- Despite any translation of these Conditions of Carriage into another language, the English version of these Conditions of Carriage will prevail.
18 OUR NAME AND ADDRESS
Our name may be abbreviated to 'GK' (our Airline Designator Code) on the Itinerary and Invoice. Our address is Jetstar Japan Co., Ltd., 148-1 Tokkou, Jouninduka, Narita City, Chiba, Japan.
Effective date: This Conditions of Carriage shall come into effect as of 30 May 2017.