To travel with Jetstar, it's important that you can travel independently. We require that:
- the passenger is able to self-toilet, if required, during the course of the flight; and
- the passenger can eat or drink during the course of the flight without assistance; and
- the passenger can administer medication themselves during the course of the flight, if required; and
- the passenger is able to communicate in some way that they have understood the safety instructions and emergency instructions of our crew; and
- if transfers between mobility aids or from a mobility aid to an aircraft seat are required, either:
- the passenger is able to transfer themselves without assistance; or
- the passenger is able to be transferred using a slide board and slide cloth by our staff without the assistance of an accompanying assistant/carer.
If the passenger does not meet all of these requirements, the passenger will need to travel with an Accompanying Passenger. If you need help with any of these tasks, you must travel with an Accompanying Passenger.
An Accompanying Passenger is an independent, paying traveller who, in Jetstar’s opinion, is able to and will provide the assistance, supervision or both for their companion. They are required to assist their companion with:
- Using the toilet on the aircraft and on the ground
- Dealing with in-flight and ground emergencies
- Transporting carry-on baggage and equipment
- Medicating and medical procedures
- Eating and drinking
- Administrative procedures such as the completion of immigration documentation
- Boarding and disembarking including assisting with transfers to and from mobility devices and seating where necessary
- Assembling and disassembling wheelchairs
Jetstar considers that the Accompanying Passengers for children must be at least 15 years old, except on Japan domestic flights operated by Jetstar Japan, where the Accompany Passenger for children (2-11 years old) may be 12 years or older.
One Accompanying Passenger can assist a maximum of four passengers that do not meet Jetstar’s independent traveller requirements.
Passengers with an intellectual disability may be required to travel with an Accompanying Passenger.
See Jetstar’s independent traveller requirements for Young passengers travelling alone.