What is the recruitment process for a Jetstar Airways Pilot position?
The selection process is competency based and involves a number of different stages
including an interview and simulator assessment conducted in Melbourne.
It is important to keep your Jetstar application on the website current to ensure we
have the most up to date information available.
Can I re-apply with Jetstar if I have been unsuccessful?
Yes! Unsuccessful applicants can re-apply after a period of 12 twelve months from
being told they are unsuccessful.
If you have been successful through the Pilot recruitment process and have been
placed on the active hold file, your application will expire after a period of twelve
months. Although we anticipate you having a position in this timeframe, as the industry
changes we can not guarantee a position in the twelve months.
Where are the Jetstar Pilot bases?
- Melbourne - Avalon
- Melbourne – Tullamarine
- South-East Queensland (this base requires Pilots to sign-on at both Brisbane and
Gold Coast airports)
- Melbourne – Tullamarine
- South-East Queensland (this base requires
Pilots to sign-on at both Brisbane and Gold Coast airports)
What are the minimum requirements to join Jetstar?
- Hold an Australian ATPL;
- Have passes in all Australian ATPL subjects or equivalent;
- Hold an Australian Class 1 Multi-Engine Command Instrument Rating;
- Current Class 1 Medical Certificate;
- ICAO Level 6 English Language Proficiency;
- Hold relevant Australian Permanent Residency status;
- Minimum 1500 hours total aeronautical experience of which only 500 hours may be
- 500 hours Pilot in Command or First Officer on Multi Engine Aircraft; and
- 250 hours Pilot in Command of fixed-wing aircraft of which 150 may be ICUS
Please Note: Glass cockpit and multi-crew experience preferred.
Would Jetstar cover the cost of the Endorsement or Refresher Courses?
Where training is required to gain an endorsement prior to being employed, the cost
of gaining the endorsement (Airbus or Boeing) is borne by the applicant. Applicants
will be offered the opportunity to enter into an Endorsement Agreement which will allow
them to repay the cost incurred through a salary sacrifice arrangement over a period of
33 months. This is only offered through our preferred training supplier Alteon who are
based out of Brisbane and Melbourne.
Can I Salary Sacrifice anything else through Jetstar?
Yes. You have the option of salary sacrificing the following
If you have an existing novated lease or are interested in entering into one, Jetstar
can offer this through a salary sacrifice arrangement. In the novated lease arrangement
there are three parties involved, Jetstar, sgfleet and yourself. To find out more visit
You can salary sacrifice your pay toward superannuation in line with the Australian
Taxation Office rules and regulations. To find out more visit www.ato.gov.au
Jetstar is a seniority-based airline. Upon commencement of employment, Pilots will
be added to the bottom of the seniority list according to the day they
Our anticipated growth suggests that most pilots joining now as First officers could
expect to be offered a command opportunity within a 6-8 year timeframe.
What is a Seniority Based Airline?
A seniority based airline means that your length of service with Jetstar will be the
major consideration when making decisions regarding;
- Equipment assignments,
- Retention or demotion in case of reduction of establishment,
- Postings, temporary and permanent transfer,
- Preference of allocation of annual leave.
- Extra flying allowances (EFA) are paid where credit hours exceed 75 in a
- Flying credits are awarded for ground admin or office days at 3.6
hours per day.
- Whilst taking annual leave pilotPilots are credited with 3.6
hours flying credits per day.
- Simulator, Emergency Procedures (EP) and Security
Courses are credited at 5.5 hours per day.
- Block flying hours
- 50% of time paxing to/from duties.
Staff Travel Benefits
Jetstar provides employees a discretionary benefit of staff travel benefits after a
six month qualifying period with the company. Employees, their children and their
parents are able to access concessional staff travel in addition, either a travel
partner OR the employee’s siblings. Travel is all standby and bookings can be
made on Jetstar, Qantas Group and One World partner airlines pursuant to interline
travel agreements. Once they have qualified, all pilots have an upgrade ability to
Business Class travel.
Roster Period/ Days Off
Pilots are allocated an average of 11 rostered days off per month guaranteed in home
Pilots are subject to Australian Taxation Laws. For information on taxation rates
please see the website www.ato.gov.au
Jetstar pays 9% superannuation on your gross earnings.
Death & Disability Insurance
Jetstar provides death insurance free of charge to Pilots as part of the Company
Funded Superannuation Scheme. Currently this figure is $500,000.
Loss of License Insurance
Jetstar provides loss of license insurance free to Pilots or Pilots may choose to
obtain their own insurance and the company will reimburse up to 1.5% of your base